Ursuline COnvent Timeline
After LaSalle's discovery of the mouth of the Mississippi River and his planting of the cross and fleur-de-lis below New Orleans, France established its first settlement in lower Mississippi Valley as the Old Biloxi (present day Ocean Springs) in 1699. The new colony was of Franc's colonial expansion and a buffer settlement against the colonial expansion of the Spain and England.
Father Nicolas Ignace de Beaubois, S.J., with the help of Governor Bienville, secured Ursuline nuns to minister at the hospital and to teach the young girls of the colony. The need for both was great. Hospital care was poorly provided and, as the nuns discovered, some young women in the colony did not even know how many Gods there were.
Sixteen nuns arrived in New Orleans from France.
The Convent facing the river was completed. On July 17, 1734, the nuns, accompanied by a large group of notables and citizens, processed solemnly to their new quarters in the city's first Eucharistic procession. For almost two decades, the convent was the Ursulines' home and the center of their ministry at the hospital and their school.
Plans for the present day building are drafted. Authorized by Louis XV, the new convent was based on French models, but reflected a new colonial architecture adapted for elements, available material and human needs.
Ursulines move into their new convent.
Good Friday fire destroys New Orleans. The Convent is spared when Sr. Felicite' places the small "Sweetheart" statue in the window.
President Thomas Jefferson assures the Ursulines that their property and their rights under U.S Constitution are guaranteed.
Battle of New Orleans